COVID-19 Updates for International Students
Apply to Tacoma Community College
- Applicant must be at least 16 years of age by program start date
- High School graduation NOT required (see High School Completion Program)
Required Admission Documents:
- Bank Statement (proof of funding) showing at least USD $18,861
- The "Bank Statement" may include checking or savings accounts, stocks, certificates of deposit, or other easily liquidated assets. Please indicate the relationship between the student and the person listed on the bank statement in the online application. All proof of funding documents must be dated within the last 6 months.
- Copy of High School or College Transcript
- Copy of Passport Photo Page
- $50 non-refundable application fee (pay here)
- Transferring in from another U.S. school? Please submit the Transfer In Form with your application
- Under age 18? Please submit the Parental Consent Form
Missing information? Be sure to review:
English Proficiency is not required for admission. However, students who have taken an English proficiency test within the last two years are encouraged to submit their score with the online application. The following scores will place a student direclty into college-level English (ENG 101).
- IELTS: 6.0
- TOEFL: 65 (iBT or iBT Special Home Edition)
- Duolingo: 90
- SAT: 470 Reading Score
- ACT: 19
- Pearson: 46
- Cambridge A & O Level Scores: A, B or C in English 101
- U.S. High School: Completion of two years at a U.S. high school with a 2.5 GPA in English
- Native-English proficiency: Ask our team if this applies to you!
After your completed application is received, an admissions package will be created within two-business days. In the event that your application was submitted incomplete, please use the following resources to finalize your submission.
Missed a supporting document when completing the online application? Submit additional documents:
- Online: Submit Supporting Documents
- By email: email@example.com
For all applications, there is a $50 application fee. Students can pay fees:
- Through the Online Payment Form
- With a check from an American bank, bank draft or Cashier's check (payable to Tacoma Community College)
- Via money order from the postal service (not Western Union)
- Deferral Request Form: Defer your TCC admission to a different quarter
- Authorization to Release Information: Give TCC staff permission to share your academic progress and tuition bill with any people/agency/school you authorize
After your application is received, an acceptance package will be created for you within two-business days. This package contains:
- TCC Admission letter
- A Consulate letter (supporting your request for a student visa)
- A High School Completion Dual Degree letter (for students who have not graduated High School)
- University Conditional Admission letter (select one of our Univeristy Partners where you'd like to transfer after graduating from TCC)
- Your I-20 (this document confirms your acceptance as an international student in the U.S.)
I-20 and Visa Interview
You will need to pay a SEVIS and visa fee, make an interview appointment with the U.S. Consular Office in your home country and present the complete admissions package to them during your interview.
Be sure to keep your documents safe! If you lose any of your documents, please notify us immediately.
WHAT TO EXPECT WITH YOUR VISA INTERVIEW
- Most interviews last only 1-2 minutes and are conducted in English*
- Preparing for your visa interview is very important
- Providing thorough and honest answers are absolutely necessary
ESSENTIAL THINGS TO REMEMBER
- This is a Study Visa. Be sure to have a clear plan of what you plan to study and where you intend to transfer after TacomaCC.
- Demonstrate you can afford tuition and living expenses. You can do this by providing valid sources of funding and how those will be sustained throughout your 4+ years in the U.S.
- *Request to be interviewed in your native language, if you intend to study English (EAP) first.
- Show your intention to return home. Demonstrate strong ties to your home country and a motive to return home after you complete your studies.
WHAT QUESTIONS TO PREPARE FOR
- Why have you chosen to study at Tacoma Community College?
- How will you fund your studies?
- Do you have family members or relatives in the United States?
- What do you intend to do at the completion of your studies? (Career plan and intent to return home)