English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
TCC's EAP Program provides a strong basis in written and spoken English for international students looking to study in the United States. The EAP program offers a wide variety of classes designed not only to improve English language and study skills, but also to prepare students for the U.S. college classroom.
A Complete Program
The EAP Program provides five levels of instruction, from beginning through advanced, within the areas of Grammar/Speaking, Reading/Writing, Pronunciation/Conversation and Discussion/American Culture. Each level takes one quarter (approximately three months) to complete. Students will take an English placement test after being admitted to determine their level.
- Intro/Level 0: EAP 85 or 013 - Introduction to Reading, Writing and Grammar (15 credits)
- Level 1: EAP 95 or 014 - Reading and Writing I (15 credits)
- Level 2: EAP 92/96 or 015 - Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Speaking II (15 credits)
- Level 3: EAP 93/97 or 016 - Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Speaking III (15 credits)
- Level 4: EAP 94/98 or 017 - Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Speaking IV (13 credits)
- Level 5: EAP 155/159 or 018 - Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Speaking V (12 credits)
Optional and Linked Courses gives students a chance to add-on to their EAP program by including classes in pronunciation, conversation, discussion, and culture.
- Intro/Level 0: EAP 88 - Introduction to Pronunciation and Conversation (3 credits)
- Level 1: EAP 89 - Pronunciation and Conversation I (3 credits)
- Level 2: EAP 90 - Pronunciation and Conversation II (2 credits)
- Level 3: EAP 191 - Pronunciation and Conversation III (2 credits) and/or EAP 190 - American Culture and Conversation I
- Level 4: EAP 193 - Pronunciation and Conversation IV (2 credits) and/or EAP 194 - American Culture and Conversation II
- Level 5: CMST& 101 or CMST& 110 Introduction to Communication (linked course) or college-level classes in Art, Music, Physical Education, and Mathematics
Finally, students can earn a certificate in as few as three quarters. Certificates include: English Language and American Culture (one-year certification) and EAP Program Completion.
Advantages of TCC's EAP Program
- A complete program with five levels of instruction, from beginning through advanced
- Highly qualified teachers with degrees specific to English language learning and who have international backgrounds/experience
- Linked courses that allow students to count their EAP courses as college credit
- Skill development, including presentation practice, lecture note-taking, source referencing, research methods, and more!
- Free tutoring
Reach out with questions...
Course DescriptionsLearn more about an EAP course by selecting it from the dropdown list below.
Contact EAP Faculty
EAP Department Chair