English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
TCC's EAP Program provides a strong basis in written and spoken English for international students looking to study in the United States. The EAP program offers a wide variety of classes designed not only to improve English language and study skills, but also to prepare students for the U.S. college classroom.
Advantages of TCC's EAP Program
- A complete program with five levels of instruction, from beginning through advanced
- Highly qualified teachers with degrees specific to English language learning and who have international backgrounds/experience
- Linked courses that allow students to count their EAP courses as college credit
- Skill development, including presentation practice, lecture note-taking, source referencing, research methods, and more!
- Free tutoring
Students with any one of the following minimum scores place directly into ENGL& 101 and do not need to join the EAP program. *Please note: ALL scores have a two year validation period.
- IELTS: 6.0
- TOEFL: 65 (iBT)
- SAT: 470 Reading Score
- ACT: 19
- Pearson: 46
- Cambridge A & O Level Scores: A, B or C in English 101
- U.S. High School: Completion of two years at a U.S. high school with a 2.5 GPA in English
- Native-English proficiency: Ask our team if this applies to you!
A Complete Program
The EAP Program provides five levels of instruction, from beginning through advanced within the areas of Grammar/Speaking, Reading/Writing, Pronunciation/Conversation and Discussion/American Culture.
Linked Courses give EAP students the opportunity to join traditional college-level classes with American students and earn academic credit toward their degree prior to completing the English program.
- Level 4 & 5 linked with CMST&101 or CMST&110
EAP classes at level 100+ award college-level credit. Students can take additional college classes while completing the EAP program including:
- Communication Studies 101
- Art, Music, and Physical Education
Finally, students can earn a certificate in as few as three quarters. Certificates include: English Language and American Culture (one-year certification) and EAP Program Completion
|Level||Grammar||Reading & Writing||Pronunciation and Conversation||Discussion and Culture|
|Intro||EAP 85 (15 cr.)||EAP 88 (3 cr.)|
|Level 1||EAP 95 (14 cr.)||EAP 89 (3 cr.)|
|Level 2||EAP 92 (5 cr.)||EAP 96 (10 cr.)||EAP 90 (2 cr.)|
|Level 3||EAP 93 (5 cr.)||EAP 97 (10 cr.)||Optional: EAP 90/91 (2 cr.)||Optional: EAP 190 (3 cr.)|
|Level 4||EAP 94 (5 cr.) or EAP 99 (10 cr.) Linked with ART& 100||EAP 98 (8 cr.) or EAP 99 (10 cr.) Linked with ART& 100||Optional: EAP 191 (2 cr.)||Optional: EAP 190 (3 cr.)|
|Level 5||EAP 155 (5 cr.) or EAP 154 (10 cr.) Linked with CMST& 101||EAP 159 (7 cr.) or EAP 154 (10 cr.) Linked with CMST& 101||Optional: EAP 193 (2 cr.)||Optional: EAP 194 (3 cr.)|
Contact EAP Faculty
EAP Department Chair