English for Academic Purposes
English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
TCC's EAP Program provides a strong basis in written and spoken English for international students looking to study in the United States. The EAP program offers a wide variety of classes designed not only to improve English language and study skills, but also to prepare students for the U.S. college classroom.
A Complete Program
The EAP Program provides six levels of instruction, from beginning through advanced, within the areas of Grammar/Speaking, Reading/Writing, Pronunciation/Conversation and Discussion/American Culture. Each level takes one quarter (approximately three months) to complete. Students will take an English placement test after being admitted to determine their level.
- Intro/Level 0: EAP 13 - Intro to Reading, Writing and Grammar (10 credits) & EAP 88 - Intro to Pronunciation and Conversation (3 credits)
- Level 1: EAP 14 - Reading and Writing I (10 credits) & EAP 89 - Pronunciation and Conversation I (3 credits)
- Level 2: EAP 15 - Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Speaking II (10 credits) & EAP 90 - Pronunciation and Conversation II (2 credits)
- Level 3: EAP 16 - Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Speaking III (10 credits)
- Level 4: EAP 99* - Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Speaking IV (10 credits)
- Level 5: ENGL/95* - Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Speaking V (7 credits)
*courses subject to change based on availability and enrollment
Optional and Linked Courses gives students a chance to add-on to their EAP program by including classes in pronunciation, conversation, discussion, and culture. These classes include:
- EAP 190 - American Culture and Conversation I (3 credits)
- EAP 191 (Level 4) - Pronunciation and Conversation III (2 credits)
- EAP 193 - Pronunciation and Conversation IV (2 credits)
- EAP 194 - American Culture and Conversation II (3 credits)
- CMST& 101 (Level 5) - Introduction to Communication (5 credits)
- HD 101 (Level 5) - Introduction to College, Student Success Seminar (3 credits)
- College-level classes in Art, Music, Physical Education, and Mathematics (Level 4/5 only)
Finally, students can earn a certificate of completion, titled EAP Program Completion, upon passing Level 5.
Missing information? Be sure to review:
Tuition and Fees Dates and Deadlines
Advantages of TCC's EAP Program
- A program for anyone! Six levels of instruction, from beginning through advanced
- Highly qualified teachers with degrees specific to English language learning and who have international backgrounds/experience
- Earn college-level credit as early as Level 4 with linked courses and general education course options in art, music and math
- Skill development, including presentation practice, lecture note-taking, source referencing, research methods, and more!
- Free one-on-one tutoring and group support (English Conversation and Grammar Corner)
Reach out with questions...
Meet the EAP Faculty
I've been working at Tacoma Community College since 2010 and have been teaching English to speakers of other languages since 1993. I'm a Northwest native, and I live in Tacoma with my family.
I'm excited to be your English teacher! I hope you learn a lot about the culture in the Northwest United States and improve your English language and academic skills.
Course DescriptionsLearn more about an EAP course by selecting it from the dropdown list below.