Students are eligible to apply for entry into the HIM BAS program by meeting the following:
- At least 1 year of work experience in a healthcare or business environment
- Associate Degree in a health-related field or business-related field, from an accredited
institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 and a minimum of 2.0 in all applicable college
- At least 90 college-level credits from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 and a minimum of 2.0 in all applicable college courses
Students may be admitted to the program, but must complete the following courses with
an earned grade of C or higher prior to taking 300 level HIM courses:
- ENGL& 101 English Composition
- BIOL& 175 Human Anatomy & Physiology
- HIT 161 Pathopharmacology
- MATH& 146 Introduction to Statistics
- CU 203 Excel II
Additional Entry Requirements
Students must also have completed coursework in the following areas prior to beginning HIM core curriculum.
Credit may be given on a case by case basis if content has been obtained from another college or through professional work experience. To receive more information, attend an information session:
HIM BAS Info Sessions
Thursdays | 3:00 - 4:00 pm
Join Zoom Meeting: https://tacomacc-edu.zoom.us/j/83408903985
- HIM 299 – Individual Study in Health Information
- Healthcare Systems
- The Medical Record
- Healthcare Data
- Health Statistics and Research
- Terminologies, Nomenclatures and Payment Methodologies
- HIM 290 – Introduction to Medical Coding
- HIM 295 – Computer Concepts in Health Information
- Systems Theory
- Control Units
- Medical Terminology
- HIT 130 – Medical Terminology I
- HIT 131 – Medical Terminology II
- HIT 105 – Comprehensive Medical Terminology
Please note, there is no expiration date for previous degree or coursework requirements. However, the health care industry is constantly changing. If your coursework took place over five years ago and you do not have industry experience, you may wish to either retake an Associate degree level course or do self-study to ensure you have the appropriate knowledge base to successfully move forward with your studies.
The Health Information Management accreditor of Tacoma Community College is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM).
The College's accreditation for the Baccalaureate degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2027.
All inquiries about the program's accreditation status should be directed by mail to:
200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100
Chicago, IL, 60601
Graduates are eligible to sit for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) national accreditation examination.