Environmental science is the study of the interaction of humans and the physical and biological systems of the earth, and the dependence on natural resources by humans. It involves the study of the interaction and co-evolution of human, physical, and biological systems.
At TCC, you can earn an Associate in Science with Specialization in Environmental Science. Upon completion of this program, you will be prepared to transfer to a four-year institution.
Associate of Science - Specialization in Environmental Science
Your guided path toward earning your degree
While in high school, students should pursue all the available courses in mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, and earth science. Students may need to take additional prerequisite courses.
The Associate of Science with Specialization in Environmental Science is designed for students who plan to transfer to specific science majors at four-year colleges and universities. Students should work closely with TCC academic advisors to ensure requirements are met.
- The requirements for this degree were designed to align with those of the University of Washington Tacoma BS in Environmental Science. If you plan to transfer to a different institution consult with your advisor and determine if this degree path is still the best option for you.
- The Humanities and Social Science courses must be chosen from courses on the Approved Distribution Course List.
- At least 5 credits must be chosen from the list of approved multicultural courses on the Approved Distribution Course List.
- This specialization requires the student to choose 15 elective credits.
- No more than 3 PE activity credits will apply toward the degree.
|5 credits Humanities, 5 credits Social Science, 5 additional credits of Humanities
or Social Science
(one course must be an approved multicultural course)
|CHEM& 161 (prereq: CHEM& 140), CHEM& 162, CHEM& 163|
|MATH& 151 (prereq: MATH&142), MATH& 152|
|MATH& 146 or BUS 256|
|BIOL& 221 (prereq: BIOL&160 and CHEM&161), BIOL&222, BIOL&223|
15 elective credits (The following choices are strongly recommended):
- ENVS& 101, GEOG/ENVS 210, ENVS 179 or OCEA 179
Careers in Environmental Science include:
Fascinated with other earth science programs at TCC? We offer several more degrees.
Associate of Arts
An earth science devoted to studying and preserving the ocean. TCC students can earn an Associate of Arts degree to transfer to a four-year college or university to earn a bachelor's degree in oceanography.
Associate of Science - Specialization in Earth Sciences
Study the materials and processes of the earth. Students can earn this degree to transfer to a four-year college or university to earn a bachelor's degree.