Section: III. STSV - 103
Approved By: Dr. Pamela J. Transue, 8/30/04
Last Review: June 2011
Last Revision: 6/3/04
Prior Revisions: 1/28/04
Initial Adoption: 9/1/96
WAC 132V-130-010 Hazing prohibited.
- Hazing is prohibited at Tacoma Community College.
- Hazing means any method of initiation into a student group or any pastime or amusement engaged in with respect to such a group that causes, or is likely to cause, bodily danger or physical harm, or serious mental or emotional harm, to any student or other person attending any institution of higher education or post-secondary education. Excluded from this definition are "customary athletic events or other similar contests or competitions."
WAC 132V-130-020 Penalties.
- The Tacoma Community College Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities process is applicable to hazing violations.
- Hazing violations are also misdemeanors punishable under state criminal law according to RCW 9A.20.021.
- A person who participates in the hazing of another shall forfeit any entitlement to state-funded grants, scholarships or awards for a period of time to be determined based upon the seriousness of the violation.
- Any student group that knowingly permits hazing shall
- be liable for harm caused to persons or property resulting from hazing and
- be denied recognition by Tacoma Community College as an official student group on campus. If the student group is a corporation, whether for profit or nonprofit, the individual directors of the corporation may be held individually liable for damages. All college funding shall be frozen for any official student group alleged to have committed a hazing violation.
- Forfeiture of college funding, state-funded grants, scholarships or awards shall continue for a minimum of one quarter up to and including permanent forfeiture as determined by the Tacoma Community College Student Rights and Responsibilities process based upon the seriousness of the violations.
WAC 132V-130-030 Sanctions for Impermissible Conduct not Amounting to Hazing.
- Impermissible conduct associated with initiation into a student group or any pastime or amusement engaged in, with respect to the group, will not be tolerated.
- Impermissible conduct which does not amount to hazing may include conduct which causes embarrassment, sleep deprivation or personal humiliation, or may include ridicule or unprotected speech amounting to verbal abuse.
- Impermissible conduct not amounting to hazing is subject to any sanctions available under the Tacoma Community College Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities, depending upon the seriousness of the violation.
Tacoma Community College is committed to providing a safe environment and will take measures necessary to prevent injury or serious mental or emotional harm to any student or other person attending the college or a college-related function.
To Whom Does This Policy Apply
All individuals registered for classes at Tacoma Community College.
WAC 132V-130 Hazing Policy
See WAC above.