The following prerequisites must be completed before applying to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. Taking prerequisite courses at another college? Check the Common Course Equivalencies Table to make sure you're taking the right classes.
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|ENGL& 101 or ENGL& 102 or ENGL 103||English Composition I or Composition II: Argument & Persuasion or Composition III: Writing about Literature||5|
|HIT 130||Medical Terminology||3|
|MATH& 141||Precalculus I||5|
|BIOL& 241*||Human Anatomy & Physiology I||5|
|BIOL& 242||Human Anatomy & Physiology II||5|
|PHYS& 115* or PHYS& 116||General Physics II or
General Physics III
or CMST 110 or CMST& 220
|Introduction to Communication
or Multicultural Communication or Public Speaking
*There is an additional prerequisite for BIOL& 241, which is BIOL& 160 and CHEM& 110 and an additional prerequisite for PHYS 115, which is PHYS 114. (Only a requirement for students attending Tacoma Community College and no other colleges.)
- Evidence of completion of the 7 specific prerequisite courses with a grade of C+ (2.3) or better in each course
- A minimum cumulative GPA of (2.7) or better, based on the 7 prerequisite classes. All prerequisite courses must have been successfully passed within 2 attempts of taking the course. Attempts count when any letter grade is recorded on a student transcript. Withdrawals (W), or (WI) do not count as an attempt.
- Each grade earned in a prerequisite class will be assigned a certain number of points. For example, an A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, etc. These points will be totaled for every applicant. For this criterion, 7 prerequisite classes would equal total possible points of 28.
- All math and science prerequisites must have been completed within the past 5 years.
- Any classes transferred in must be from an accredited college or university acceptable to Tacoma Community College. See Common Course Equivalencies.
- Any higher level equivalent course may be accepted in place of the listed prerequisites.
- All official transcripts from other accredited colleges must be received in the Records & Registration Office, Bldg. 7 by the application deadline of July 1.
- While not required, it is strongly recommended that prospective students take a computer class.
- Complete the required Diagnostic Medical Sonography Virtual Information Session within the academic year immediately prior to the application deadline. Be sure to print off the certificate at the end of the virtual information session, as documentation is required as part of the application process.
- Complete 8 hours of job shadowing in a sonography department. Only completed, verifiable forms will be accepted. Refer to page 11 of the program packet for detailed instructions and guidelines.
- Provide documentation of current immunizations: 2 step TB skin test (PPD), Tdap, HepB - 3 doses and a titer, MMR, Varicella, and flu shot.
- There are further requirements for working in health care, including background checks and drug tests. See Essential Requirements for more information.