New to College?
If you are new to TCC, you need to become a TCC student before applying to the DMS program.
DMS Application Deadline
The DMS program application is typically available April 1 - July 1.
How to Apply
March 2021 Update: In light of evolving needs related to the pandemic, TCC has been fortunate to continue to provide in-person education for our health science programming. The application processes for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program remain under review, and our anticipated timeline has been adjusted.
Prior to application, it is essential that prospective students understand fundamental requirements for participation in a health science education program and career. Please carefully review the Gateway to Health Careers to help determine if healthcare is the right career path for you.
If you are opting to move forward, here is what we can tell you as we refine application processes for our Fall 2021-2022 program.
*Job shadow/observations will not be required for application.
*Virtual Information Sessions are currently under review and will not be required for application.
Anticipated timeline for prospective applicants:
March 11: Program Specific Application Details Released
April 1: Anticipated Release for Online Application Platform
July 1: Application Deadline
We appreciate the challenges this may present with educational planning for students and can assure that significant efforts are underway to provide additional clarity as soon as possible.
For general information about previous admission requirements and selection processes, please download the DMS Program Application Packet (PDF). Please know the information in this packet is subject to change.
- Any classes transferred in must be from an accredited college or university acceptable to Tacoma Community College (e.g., a school accredited by one of the regional accreditation organizations). See Common Course Equivalencies
- Any higher level equivalent course may be accepted in place of the listed prerequisites. Please contact the Program Chair for approval of course substitutions.
- All official transcripts from another accredited college must be received in the Records & Registration Office, Bldg. 7, by the application deadline of July 1.
Admission policies are subject to change. Applications will be accepted under the terms in place at the time an application is received. It is the responsibility of the applicant to keep up to date on any changes that may affect their qualifications for acceptance and ensure their online application was complete in all respects.
The Selection Process
Acceptance into the DMS program is based on points:
- The grade you receive for each of your prerequisite courses is assigned a points value: A = 4.0, B = 3.0, etc.
- The highest number of possible points for the prerequisite classes is 28.
- Additional points may be awarded for direct patient care experiences. Please refer to the program application packet.
Points are evaluated, and the students with the top scores are offered a place in the program. In evaluating applications, additional points are awarded for experience in patient related healthcare experience. Please see the DMS Program Application Packet (PDF) for more details.
Admission to the DMS program is a competitive process. Generally, there are more applicants to the program than available positions. Therefore, if a student takes all the prerequisite classes and meets the other requirements for a completed application, it does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants must be officially accepted by the program prior to enrolling in DMS program courses. Notifications regarding status will be emailed to each applicant by the end of August.
If Not Selected
- Applicants that are reapplying to the DMS program will not need to participate and complete the virtual information session or complete a new 8 hour ultrasound job shadow, as long as they have been completed within the last five years prior to the application deadline.
- 1 point will be awarded to applicants who have applied previously, up to two previous application cycles.
- You may be interested in exploring some of our other Health Careers pathways. Find out more at a Health Careers info session.
Frequently Asked Questions