The DMS application will be available on the TCC Student Portal April 1 - July 1.
Applications due by 5 p.m. July 1.
How to Apply
Applications will only be accepted via the online submission process. For more information on how to apply to TCC's Diagnostic Medical Sonography program, please see the DMS Program Application Packet.
- Apply for General Admissions to Tacoma Community College.
- Participate and complete the DMS Virtual Information Session within the academic year immediately prior to the application deadline. (You must upload the certificate to the DMS online application through your TCC portal).
- Complete 8 hours of job shadowing in a sonography department. Only completed, verifiable forms will be accepted. Refer to page 9 of the program packet for detailed instructions and guidelines. You must upload the job shadowing form to the DMS online application through the TCC portal.
- Additional points are awarded for experience in patient related healthcare. Refer to page 11 of the program packet for detailed rules and guidelines. If you have healthcare experience, you must upload the patient care experience form to the DMS online application through the TCC portal.
- Provide evidence of completion of the 7 specific prerequisite courses with a grade of C+ (2.3) or better in each course, and a minimum cumulative GPA of (2.7) based on the prerequisite courses.
- Any classes transferred in must be from an accredited college or university acceptable to Tacoma Community College (e.g., a school accredited by one of the regional accreditation organizations). See Common Course Equivalencies.
- Any higher level equivalent course may be accepted in place of the listed prerequisites.
- All official transcripts from another accredited college must be received in the Records & Registration Office, Bldg. 7, by the application deadline of July 1.
Student Portal Application Details
To apply to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) program, you will need to be an admitted student at Tacoma Community College and have access to the student portal and a TCC email account. If you have not attended TCC in the past 12 months, please fill out the admission application. <link to admission page>
It may take 24-48 hours for your account to be activated and for you to be granted TCC student portal and email access. Here is how to access the online application.
- Sign into the TCC portal (requires you to have an active TCC student account)
- Go to your Quick links area and expand the All Reports and Applications
- Select the Academics tab and click on make button for the Allied Health/Nursing link
- You should now see a button called Allied Health/Nursing on your Quick Links list.
- This will allow you to access the online application. It mainly involves selecting the program you are applying for (DMS), the quarter (fall 2018) and uploading the required documentation (DMS Virtual Information Session Certificate, Healthcare Related Experience form and the Ultrasound Job Shadow form) for the DMS application.
- When you have completed the application, the system will send a confirmation email to your TCC email. This is the only email that Tacoma Community College/Allied Health Division will use to communicate with students on their DMS applications.
Admission policies are subject to change. Applications will be accepted under the terms in place at the time an application is received. It is the responsibility of the applicant to keep up to date on any changes that may affect their qualifications for acceptance and ensure their online application was complete in all respects.
The Selection Process
Acceptance into the DMS program is based on points:
- The grade you receive for each of your prerequisite courses is assigned a points value: A = 4.0, B = 3.0, etc.
- The highest number of possible points for the prerequisite classes is 28.
- Additional points are awarded for direct patient care experiences. See page 11 of your program packet.
Points are evaluated, and the students with the top scores are offered a place in the program. In evaluating applications, additional points are awarded for experience in patient related healthcare experience. Please see the DMS Program Application Packet for more details.
Admission to the DMS program is a competitive process. Generally, there are more applicants to the program than available positions. Therefore, if a student takes all the prerequisite classes and meets the other requirements for a completed application, it does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants must be officially accepted by the program prior to enrolling in DMS program courses. Notifications regarding status will be emailed to each applicant by the end of August.
If Not Selected
- Applicants that are reapplying to the DMS program will not need to participate and complete the virtual information session or complete a new 8 hour ultrasound job shadow, as long as they have been completed within the last five years prior to the application deadline.
- 1 point will be awarded to applicants who have applied previously, up to two previous application cycles.
- You may be interested in exploring some of our other Health Careers pathways. Find out more at a Health Careers info session.
Frequently Asked Questions