2021-22 Application Updates
The COVID-19 pandemic and resulting stay-at-home orders have created multiple challenges for students preparing to apply to the TCC nursing program. Please read below for admission changes that will apply only to the Fall 21/Winter 22 application cycle.
All admission criteria to the Tacoma Community College Nursing program outlined on our web page and the admission packets will not change except for the following:
TEAS testing: We have a remote option available. For instructions to register, please visit this webpage. Click on ‘TEAS Test REMOTE Option’. Applicants are not required to complete the test through Tacoma Community College.
NOTE: We will not be counting any unsuccessful tests from July 2020, so that students
aren’t penalized for our decision to extend the deadline last year.
What do I do if my Nursing Assistant class was canceled or I am unable to take the State Exam?
For the Fall 21/Winter 22 application cycle, you will need proof of passing/successfully completing the Nursing Assistant Exam by July 1, 2021. If you are having trouble getting clinical hours to be eligible to take the NAC state test, and can only get an NAR, please contact Mary Stobie at MStobie@tacomacc.edu to see if she can help you get clinical hours.
At the time of Application, students will need to submit one of the following for the NAC requirement as follows:
- Submission of an active Washington State NAC license
- Submission of passing scores of NAC skills and written tests from Pearson Vue (you are required to submit your NAC application to WA state Dept of Health)
Should I apply if I do not have all of my non-factored pre-requisites completed?
Yes, students who have 1 non-factored pre-requisite left, to be completed at the time of application, are encouraged to apply. If the program has admitted all qualified applicants and has additional capacity to admit students, we will look to fill these spaces with students who are closest to meeting requirements. Those students would be in a separate lottery. If selected, these students will still have to complete the final requirement, achieving the minimum grade required, as soon as they are able. This will be required to graduate from the program, as these courses are degree requirements.
We will update this web page as we have future information or as changes occur. Thank you for your understanding and flexibility. We are in uncharted waters, but we look forward to serving you to the best of our ability during this time.
Nursing Program Application Process
|Student Category||Quarter Program Starts||Accepting Applications||Application Deadline|
|Full-time Nursing||Spring||Dec. 1 - Jan. 7||Jan. 7|
|LPN - RN Bridge Program||Winter||July 1 - Oct. 1||Oct. 1|
|Full-time Nursing||Fall/Winter||June 1 - July 1||July 1|
Things to Do Before Applying to the Nursing Program
- Review the nursing program packet and attend a Nursing Information Session.
- Assess that you have a cumulative college-level GPA of 2.5.
- Complete all factored and non-factored prerequisites, assessing that you have met the minimum GPA for each.
- Submit CNA/NAC license. (International students, please meet with Associate Dean of Nursing to discuss options).
- Follow guidelines and complete an ATI TEAS Testing Exam.
- Apply to be a student at Tacoma Community College.
Readmitting Students: Call 253-566-5325 to update your application.
- Submit official transcripts for prerequisite work completed at other colleges to be sent to Enrollment Services by the published deadline or sooner. Official transcripts do not have to be evaluated by the deadline, just submitted by the deadline.
How to Apply to TCC's Nursing Program
- Sign into the TCC student portal (this requires you to have an active TCC student account)
- Click on the square icon (in the upper right corner), to expand options. Select “All Applications.”
- Select the Allied Health/Nursing link.
- Select your application choice.
- Upload: (1) TEAS test results; (2) NAC license; and (3) military document. If you don’t have military service, upload a document and write “no experience.” Three documents must be uploaded or your application will be rejected.
- Click Submit and you are finished.
- When you have completed the application, the system will send a confirmation to your TCC email. This is an important step so please make sure you check the TCC email for this. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all application materials and required documentation are received by the application deadline. Students do not need to wait UNTIL the deadline date to submit an application.
The Selection Process
In the first few weeks following a deadline, applications are evaluated for accuracy and weighted items are scored.
TCC uses a lottery system to select nursing students. If your application is disqualified for any reason, you will be notified by TCC student email prior to the lottery taking place. It is your responsibility to check your email for any communication regarding your application.
Qualified applicants are entered into the TCC nursing lottery, which selects students to fill program openings.
If you have qualified, your lottery ID (last 6 digits of student ID) will be posted along with your weighted score on the website prior to the lottery drawing date.
If Not Selected
If you are not selected, and wish to be considered for future drawings, you must reapply. You do not need to resubmit transcripts. Before re-applying, please review the program admission requirements, as these are subject to change.
You may also wish to explore a Pre-Nursing transfer degree or other allied health program offerings at TCC. To find out more about other health science programs offered at TCC, attend an information session Feel free to contact an advisor at 253-566-6091 or by email.