Welcome to Basic Education for Adults at TCC!
We're glad that you are interested in continuing your education at TCC. We are currently prepping for Winter quarter. For current TCC students, check in with your advisor.
Our in-person orientations for Winter quarter have now concluded.
Our in-person orientations for Spring Quarter will start in January. Please check back here in December to sign up or contact our BEdA front desk in building 7 (Green wall section).
Interested in ELA? (Formerly ESL)
Or start the online process by completing the following steps:
Step 1: Apply to Tacoma Community College for free (skip this step if you are a TCC Student with a student ID number).
- Complete TCC's online application for admission. You will need to create a username and password before logging in.
- Under the program, select Transitional Studies.
- Under Degree or Certificate, select one of the following:
- ABE: Reading/Writing/Math – if you are interested in building your skills to college level.
- English as a Second Language – if English is not your first language and you will like to build your English skills.
- High School Equivalent/GED – if you are looking to take support classes in preparation for the GED tests.
- High School+ - if you are 18 or older and looking to earn your high school diploma.
You should receive a welcome email with your ctcLink ID (student number) within two to three business days of applying.
Step 2: Email High School Transcripts, ONLY for HS+ students. Skip this step if you are only interested in GED or building your skills to college
- While a high school transcript is not required to participate in HS+, it is encouraged
that you to submit one if you believe you've earned any prior credits. Email a copy
of your unofficial high school transcript to email@example.com.
- If you are ordering your transcripts through Parchment or a third-party and it does not give an option to put firstname.lastname@example.org as a recipient, please have it sent to yourself and then forward your transcript to the email above.
Step 3: Complete the Assessment for English and Math.
- Take your time to read the Directed Self-Placement for English guidance and to complete the Reflective Writing assignment at the end of the form. If you already have an English placement or placed in English 101, you do not need to complete this English DSP.
- Review the Directed Self-Placement for math to determine the best starting point for yourself. Unsure of which ABE math course is a good fit? Watch TCC's ABE Math DSP video (36 minutes) that covers problems you will see in the different ABE math levels.
Step 4: View the Basic Education for Adults Online Orientation and Post-Orientation
- Review our department's online orientation.
- Please complete and submit this form to verify you have completed steps above, and to give us a little more information about your goals!