Professional Counseling Support to TCC Employees

Section: III.  STSV - 106
Approved By: Dr. Pamela J. Transue, 2/27/07
Last Review: June 2011
Last Revision: none
Prior Revisions: none
Initial Adoption: 2/21/07


Faculty and staff who need counseling for personal matters or who need intervention and support for non-student related issues shall be referred to the college’s Employee Assistance Program or encouraged to seek assistance through a provider not associated with the TCC Counseling and Advising Center.

Faculty and staff possessing appropriate credentials related to counseling may provide consultation with faculty and staff on student-related issues and provide consultation to help resolve issues between and among students and between students and faculty or staff members.  TCC staff members with counseling credentials do not provide counseling for personal matters to TCC employees as part of their regularly assigned responsibilities.


To define college policy on counseling services for faculty, staff and student employees.

To Whom Does This Policy Apply

This policy applies to all TCC employees.


  •   Counseling as referenced in RCW 18.19.020
  •   TCC’s Washington State  Employee Assistance Program (EAP) informational materials as referenced at


"Counseling" (per RCW 18.19.020) means employing any therapeutic techniques, including but not limited to social work, mental health counseling, marriage and family therapy, and hypnotherapy, for a fee that offer, assist or attempt to assist an individual or individuals in the amelioration or adjustment of mental, emotional, or behavioral problems, and includes therapeutic techniques to achieve sensitivity and awareness of self and others and the development of human potential.


Professional counselors provide a variety of support services, including preventive and developmental interventions related to mental health issues, assistance with student concerns related to academic progress and personal growth and development.  Professionals with counseling credentials consult with faculty and staff about student- and instruction-related issues.


Faculty and staff who need counseling for personal matters not directly related to a student or instructional concern, should contact the TCC Human Resource Office for contact information for or referral to TCC’s Employee Assistance Program.