Moving Expenses for New Employees

Section: IV. ADSV - 340
Approved By: Dr. Pamela J. Transue, 01/13/12
Last Review: 12/22/11
Last Revision: 12/22/11
Prior Revisions: 06/28/11 
Initial Adoption: 07/2001


It is the policy of the College that a qualified employee, who must move to accept state employment at the college, may be eligible for moving expense reimbursement as determined by the President. This policy has been established in accordance with OFM (Office of Financial Management) guidelines.


This policy is intended to provide guidance and information regarding options available to new employees for reimbursement, or payment of, expenses incurred as a result of a move to accept employment with the College.

To Whom Does This Policy Apply

This policy applies to all qualified employees. A qualified employee is a new employee hired in an ongoing, non-temporary, non-interim position who must move to accept employment with the college, pursuant to mutual agreement with the employee in advance of such employment. The payment of moving expenses for a new employee is normally limited to executive, professional, faculty, administrative personnel in supervisory positions, or other personnel having both executive and professional status.  This policy does not apply to executive, professional, faculty or administrative personnel in temporary or interim appointments. The president, at his/her discretion, may approve exceptions to the definition of a qualified employee.


OFM Chapter 60- Moving Expenses

RCW 43.03.060 - Mileage Allowance

RCW 43.03.120 - Moving Expenses of new employees


Allowable Moving Costs – include those costs to move household goods, personal effects, and property used in a dwelling, and normal equipment and supplies used to maintain the dwelling from the old residence to the new station within the state.   However, please refer to the section on items specifically excluded from allowable moving costs.


Authority - The College President or his/her designee authorizes moving expenses and establishes the dollar limit in accordance with state and College regulations.

Time Limits - The move must occur within the first year in the position for which moving expenses were authorized.

Termination of Employment -  If the new employee terminates or causes termination of his/her employment with the college within one year of the date of employment, the employee will reimburse the College for the total moving costs that have been paid.  The College may withhold such sum as necessary for reimbursement of moving expenses from any amounts due the employee.

Allowable Moving Expenses - Allowable costs include those costs to move household goods, personal effects and property used in a dwelling, and normal equipment and supplies used to maintain the dwelling from the old residence to the new residence within the state of Washington.

Allowable costs may include (up to the established maximum and within OFM guidelines):

  1. Common Carrier Costs
  2. Costs to Rent Moving Equipment
  3. Per Diem and Mileage Expenses

Contact the Human Resources department for specific information relative to allowable moving costs and restrictions.

 Exclusions - The following are specifically excluded from allowable moving costs and may not be moved at an expense to the state.

  1. Animals and articles of sentimental and high intrinsic value.  The employee is to personally arrange for and pay the costs of transportation of items such as jewelry, firearms, negotiable, and collectable items.
  2. Excessive hobby material and equipment, farming equipment, automobiles, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, camping vehicles or mobile homes which are not the primary residence of the employee, explosives and other dangerous goods, property liable to damage the mover's equipment or other property, perishable foodstuffs subject to spoilage, building materials, fuel or other similar non-household articles.
  3. Wrecker services necessary to place a mobile home in a position for over-the-road movement; tire failure, temporary carriage or the installation of a removable undercarriage; movement or replacement of outside fuel tanks; and any costs incurred to bring the mobile home up to safety requirements for over-the-road movement.
  4. Penalties imposed by a carrier, rental agency, or mover as a result of negligence by the employee.
  5. Maid service or other third party convenience or services of a similar nature.

Paying Excess Moving Costs - The employee is responsible for paying moving expenses in excess of the allowable costs established by the college.

Common Carrier or Self-Move - If the employee requests moving services by common carrier, the College Human Resource Representative will work with the new employee, the college Purchasing department and "State Traffic Manager" to facilitate this process.  The employee must complete a payroll deduction form (A33) prior to the "State Traffic Manager" of the Office of State procurement securing moving services.  The payroll deduction authorizes the employing agency to withhold the total amount of the employee's share of the costs to move commencing the first pay date after payment of the uncontested carriers invoice by the agency.

In instances where the employee opts to move utilizing rental equipment, the employee selects the rental company, pays the rental, and submits original receipts to the college for reimbursement.   The Human Resources department will work directly with the new employee to coordinate the details of the move and/or reimbursement of expenses up to the established limit.

Review and Approval for Payment - If the employee opted to use rental equipment, the original receipts must be submitted directly to the Human Resource department with a request for payment.

A Human Resource department representative will submit for payment all approved expenses on behalf of the new employee.