Duties and Responsibilities of Administrators
Section: I. CADM-125
Approved By: Dr. Ivan Harrell, 6/7/19
Last Review: 5/14/19
Last Revision: 5/13/19
Prior Revisions: 3/18/04, 2/10/12
Initial Adoption: unknown
The established full-time administrative positions of the College shall include the following: Executive Staff (Vice Presidents), Deans, Associate Deans, and Directors.
The college’s administration shall be structured in such a way that all administrators are able to carry out their essential responsibilities of providing effective leadership and support in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of District objectives, creating a stimulating environment for learning, effectively using District resources to achieve objectives; recruitment, supervising, training and evaluating personnel, and contributing to the development and improvement of District programs and services.
In carrying out their essential responsibilities, administrators are expected to uphold the highest standards of competence, ethics, and integrity, to respect individual differences, to provide for human dignity and privacy, and be guided by the elements of due process.
The President shall develop and maintain a college administration whose members:
- Carry out the policies of the college district,
- Perform their duties as outlined in approved job descriptions,
- Perform their duties in conformance with college district regulations and procedures, and
- Perform their duties in support of the college’s mission, vision, and values.
To Whom Does This Policy Apply
All administrative employees.
Board of Trustees Policy Manual – Chapter IV
Any individual employed either full- or part-time by the College who performs administrative functions at least fifty (50%) percent or more of his/her assignment and/or has responsibility to hire, dismiss, or discipline other employees, or who is responsible for developing and administering a budget, shall be classified as an exempt administrative employee.
It is the responsibility of the President to:
Communicate to the College’s Executive Staff (Vice Presidents), through specific goals and objectives, what is expected of them in relation to their responsibilities, and
Specify, in writing, each Vice President's organizational position and responsibilities within the administrative structure of the College.
In turn, it is the responsibility of the Vice Presidents to communicate to their subordinate administrators, through specific goals and objectives, what is expected of them in relation to their responsibilities, and specify, in writing, each subordinate administrator's organizational position and responsibilities within the administrative structure of the College.
All administrators have the following broad, general duties and responsibilities in common to:
- Implement College policies and programs accurately and constructively.
- Fulfill the College's obligations under Negotiated Agreements with employee groups.
- Plan and carry out affirmative action programs which promote equal opportunity.
- Plan, organize, and administer the activities of their office or division.
- Be kept informed of new developments relating to their area of responsibility and to maintain a positive attitude toward change in order to improve the operations of her/his unit.
- Recommend the organizational structure, staffing complement, and necessary changes in the administrator's area of responsibility.
- Utilize adopted selection processes to identify and recommend personnel within the administrator's area of responsibility.
- Evaluate services and personnel in the administrator's area of responsibility.
- Encourage professional development of personnel.
- Maintain effective communication with the administrator's immediate supervisor.
- Promote an integrated effort in administration through cooperation with other administrators.
- Promote effective relationships with faculty, staff, students, members of the community, and other educational institutions.
- Develop, recommend, and administer the budget for the administrator's area of responsibility.
- Serve on committees and councils as directed by the President or the Administrator's immediate supervisor.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Administrator's immediate supervisor.