The SPRUCE Program allows tuition waivers for long-term unemployed individuals to enroll in classes at TCC as long as there is space available. The program works to help reengage workers as contributing members of the community.
How Does SPRUCE Help?
If you are eligible for SPRUCE, you may receive the following benefits:
- Waived tuition for registered classes within a degree or certificate program
Assistance is not guaranteed, and is dependent on available waivers.
The SPRUCE Program eligibility requirements established by the Washington State Legislature are that an individual:
- Is a resident of Washington state
- Is 21 years old or older
- Has not attended college or community college for the previous 6 months
- Is not receiving or eligible to receive unemployment compensation
- Has been unemployed or underemployed, as evidenced by the following income qualifications for the previous 6 months
- Has a monthly household income at or below the following:
|# of people in household||$ Monthly household income||# of people in household||$ Monthly household income|
All of the requirements apply as of the first day of classes for the quarter for which the person wishes to enroll.
How to Enroll
The EOC (Educational Opportunity Center), a local social service agency, screens prospective program participants for eligibility and refers them to TCC.
If you would like to apply for space in the SPRUCE Program, contact MDC at 253-566-5201 to begin the process.
|Start Calling||For||Quarter Begins|
|Aug. 1 - Sept. 1||Fall Quarter 2019||September 23, 2019|
|Nov. 1 - Dec. 1||Winter Quarter 2020||January 2, 2020|
|Feb. 1 - Mar. 1||Spring Quarter 2020||March 30, 2020|
|May 1 - June 1||Summer Quarter 2020 (tentative pending funds)||June 22, 2020|
Course Requirements & Restrictions
SPRUCE students may not register for non-credit or online classes, or audit a class (take a class with no grade reported).
Classes must be a part of the declared degree or certificate.
During your first quarter on the SPRUCE Program, you should apply for Federal Financial Aid through the Financial Aid Office located in Bldg. 14.