Nursing Program Prerequisites
Before applying to the TCC Nursing program, students must complete a number of prerequisites. Find out how prerequisites are weighted in TCC's nursing admission lottery system. Also, be sure to check immunization requirements and other essential requirements for nursing to make sure you're eligible to work in health care.
Associate of Nursing (DTA/MRP) 3-Year Program
All students applying to the TCC Nursing Program after October 1, 2018 will be applying to the new 3-year DTA/MRP Program, which began in spring 2019.
ATI TEAS Testing Exam Information
TCC requires all nursing program applicants to take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). This exam is used to evaluate entry level academic readiness for nursing program applicants.
In addition to purchasing the ATI study guides, Tacoma Community College would like to offer the following resources to help you with the ATI exam.
Please note: TCC still recommends purchasing the ATI study guides.
Additional Licensure Requirements
NAC (Nursing Assistant Certified) licensure in Washington state is a requirement for application to the DTA/MRP Nursing program. Practical Nursing Licensure in Washington state is a requirement for application to the Advanced Standing DTA/MRP Nursing program.
Factored prerequisites must be completed before applying to the Nursing program. Each course must be successfully passed with a grade of B or higher. You must have no more than two attempts in a five year period. Unsuccessful attempts more than five years old are disregarded. There is no expiration date for prerequisites. These attempts include all academic withdrawals listed as W. This also includes I, WI, V and Z as well as grades B- and below. See advising sheet (pdf) for more details.
|Factored Prerequisite Course Number||Factored Prerequisite Name||Prerequisite(s) to Factored Prerequisite|
|CHEM& 121||Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry|
|BIOL& 241||Human Anatomy and Physiology I||CHEM& 121 and BIOL& 160|
|BIOL& 242||Human Anatomy and Physiology II||BIOL& 241|
|ENGL& 101||English Composition I||ENGL/ 095 or satisfactory assessment score*|
|PSYC& 200||Lifespan Psychology||PSYC& 100|
|BIOL& 260||General Microbiology||CHEM& 121 and either BIOL& 160 or BIOL& 222. Recommended: CHEM& 131|
|Numerical Grade||AP Testing Score|
Completion of the courses listed below with a C or higher. There are no attempt or expiration date rules.
- ENGL&102 or ENGL&103 (Composition II or Composition III)
- CMST&210 (Interpersonal Communications)
- Nutrition 250 (Nutrition in Health Care) - will accept Nutrition 101 as meeting this requirement
- PSYCH&100 (General Psychology)
- BIOL&160 (General Cell Biology)
- MATH&146 (Statistics)
- Humanities - 5 credits (Choose from the Approved Distribution List pdf)
See advising sheet (pdf) for more information about non-factored prerequisites.
Degree Requirements - Non-Nursing Courses
- All non-factored prerequisites must be completed prior to admission, with a minimum grade of 2.0.
- Coursework completed at other colleges must be evaluated by TCC Enrollment Services office. After applying to TCC, applicants should submit official transcripts from the originating college to TCC. Do not send transcripts directly to the nursing program.
- Courses within the Washington Community and Technical College system with "&" in the course title are universally accepted from college to college. See table of common course equivalencies
If you have questions about prerequisites and how courses transfer in, please call our advising department and make an appointment with a pre-nursing advisor: 253-566-6091.