Planning to apply after Oct. 1, 2018?
The information on this page is for students who plan to apply to the nursing program June 1 - July 1, 2018, or to the LPN-RN Bridge Program, July 1 - Oct. 1, 2018. Planning to apply after these dates?
The Point System
Because the nursing program has limited space, TCC uses a lottery system to admit students.
After submitting an application, all documents will be evaluated. Each applicant will be awarded a score that is comprised of the following areas:
Base Points (40 points)
40 base points are awarded to all students who meet the basic nursing program requirements by the published deadline.
- Completion of the six prerequisites with a “B” (3.0) or higher (within two attempts, see “Prerequisite” information for details on retakes, withdrawals, etc)
- Completion of the non-factored communication class with a "C" (2.0) or higher. CMST&101, CMST 110 and CMST 210 (there is no attempt requirement).
- Completion of the non-factored statistics class with a "C" (2.0) or higher. MATH& 146 (there is no attempt requirement).
- Cumulative college-level GPA of 2.5 or higher (all courses, all colleges).
- ATI TEAS minimum score 70%, with minimum scores in each category(All sections must
meet the requirement on one test) as follows:
- Reading 75%
- Science 63%
- Math 72%
- English 70%
- Submission of nursing application and transcripts from outside institutions by the deadline.
Weighted Points (max 60 points)
Additional points are awarded for the following:
- Biology Prerequisites (max 30 points) Each grade of “A-” or higher in the biology prerequisites (BIOL& 241, BIOL& 242, and BIOL& 260) is weighted as follows: 10 pts.
- Healthcare License (max 10 points) Students with a license or certificate in healthcare (ie: NAC, EMT, RC, etc.) involving direct patient care (past or present, national or international) are awarded 10 additional points.
- Military Service (max 10 points) Students with military service (past or present) with a minimum of 90 days services and honorable discharge are awarded 10 additional points. Does not apply to spouses or family members.
- TCC Credits (max 10 points)
Students who have taken college-level credit courses at TCC are awarded the following additional points:
≈ 30 or more college-level credits taken at TCC are awarded 10 points.
≈ 15-29 college-level credits taken at TCC are awarded 5 points.
Point Deductions (max -15 points)
Points will be subtracted from the 40 base points for the following:
- Each course retake in BIOL& 241, 242 or 260 will subtract 5 points.
- Retakes more than five years old will not be penalized.
If you have questions about prerequisites and how courses transfer in please call our advising department and make an appointment with a pre-nursing advisor.