Application Factoring System
Admission into the Radiology Science Program program is a competitive process. There is no waitlist and there are more applicants to the program than there are available positions. Therefore even if a student takes all of the prerequisite classes and meets the other requirements for a completed application, it does not guarantee them admission into the program. Each applicant will receive a score based on:
- Grades received in the 7 prerequisite courses
- 8 hour visitation to a diagnostic radiology department (up to 5 (five) points are also earned when you complete your 8-hour visitation)
- If you are reapplying to the program: One (1) point will be awarded to applicants who have applied previously, up to two previous application cycles
Admission into the program is then offered to the top scores
Calculating an Application Score
All completed prerequisites are based on a 4.0 scale.
Points awarded for grades earned in the 7 prerequisite courses:
A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
If you earned A's in all 7 pre-req's it would be calculated as: 4.00 (A) X 7 (pre-req's) = 28.00
If you earned 5 points for the job shadow evaluation, your total score would be: 28.00 (pre-req's) + 5 (job shadow evaluation) = 33 points possible
If you are reapplying to the program: One (1) point will be awarded to applicants who have applied previously, up to two application cycles.
The total possible points = 35
Visitation Instructions and Guidelines
Documentation of an 8-hour visitation (job shadow) to a diagnostic radiology department is a requirement to apply to the Radiologic Science program. The purpose of the visit allows you to see what a staff radiographers job entails. TCC's radiologic science program is designed to prepare a student to effectively work in this type of environment. Following are the specific visitation instructions:
- It is the applicants responsibility to arrange the visit.
- Make your arrangements to conduct this visitation early. If you wait until the last minute, prior to the application deadline, there is no guarantee that a radiology site can accommodate you in that time frame.
- If you are unable to keep the appointment, please let the site know and reschedule.
- The visitation must be made in a diagnostic radiology department 
- At least 4 of the 8 hours must be done in a hospital diagnostic radiology department. If the hospital will allow a full 8 hour visitation that is acceptable.
- If a hospital limits you to a 4 hour visit the other 4 hours can be done in a diagnostic imaging center (e.g. Diagnostic Imaging Northwest or DINW) 
- IMPORTANT- Because the program of instruction concentrates on general X-ray images of the body, time spent to observe CT, MRI, U/S, or nuclear medicine will not fulfill this requirement. Remember, the visit is not a comprehensive tour of all modalities of imaging; it is to be strictly limited to general radiography ONLY. If a question regarding this arises at your visitation site, please show them this instruction sheet.
When you go for your visitation, you need to take the following forms with you:
- Visitation form
- Guidelines and Acceptance form
- Observation Evaluation (filled out and returned by the orienting technologist)
For the Instructions, Guidelines and forms, please click here
The Visitation form and the Guidelines and Acceptance form must be completed and upload by the student to the Radiology online application through your TCC portal
If you wish to visit one of our clinical affiliates, you may ask one of the students any questions you have about the program and you will need to contact the volunteer office at the following facilities to coordinate your visit:
|Providence Hospital System||
Harrison Medical Center
Prov. Hosp - Centralia
Please DO NOT attempt to schedule a visit to Madigan Hospital at Ft. Lewis. They are not an affiliated site and cannot accommodate your request
When observing a diagnostic radiology department at the hospital, it is extremely important to dress appropriately. A professional, clean appearance is necessary as you will be observing patients. Please follow the guidelines below:
- Dress, skirt, or nice slacks.
- No jeans.
- Flat shoes with toe and heel in.
- No tennis shoes.
- Limit jewelry to small and light colored.
- Hair neat and clean.
If visiting a Franciscan system hospital you must coordinate your visit with the main volunteer office. If visiting a Multicare facility you must coordinate your visit with their Human Resources department.
 A diagnostic radiology department is found in a hospital.
 A diagnostic radiology department can also be an imaging center. Examples of these include Diagnostic Imaging Northwest or DINW, Tacoma Radiology Associates or TRA, or South Sound Radiology.