main photo
Tacoma Community College » Getting Started » HB 1079 / Undocumented Students

HB 1079 / Undocumented Students

Undocumented students are welcome at TCC!

We have information and tips for undocumented students. If you have any questions or need assistance with the application process please contact the Undocumented Student Coordinator.

Undocumented Student Coordinator
Margaret Robinson
Bldg. 11, CASA

I am a DACA student. In light of the recent news on Sept. 5, can I still attend Tacoma Community College?
Yes, no laws have currently changed, and you can attend fall quarter. Your financial aid funding has not changed either.

Can I apply to Tacoma Community College if I am undocumented?

Yes, prospective students can apply to Tacoma Community College regardless of their immigration status. There is no federal or state law that prohibits undocumented students admission to public or private universities in the State of Washington. All prospective students will be reviewed under the same admissions criteria regardless of status.

What is HB 1079?

House Bill 1079 allows eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and university starting July 1, 2003. Under Washington state law, students who are not U.S. citizens or permanents residents may qualify for in-state tuition if they meet certain guidelines.

Am I eligible for HB 1079?

Students may qualify to pay in-state tuition rates if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • Received a diploma from a Washington high school or the equivalent of a diploma in Washington State.
  • Lived in Washington for at least three calendar years prior to receiving their diploma or its equivalent.
  • Continuously resided in Washington State since receiving the high school diploma or its equivalent.

How do I apply if I have undocumented status?

  • Complete the Tacoma Community College application, not the international student application.
  • Enter either a social security number, work authorization number, tax ID number (SSN) if you have one. Do not enter your DACA number.
  • List the U.S. as your country of permanent residence.
  • When asked about your current or expected visa or immigration status, check the “other” box if you are applying under this status.
  • You may or may not have to submit the Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit at the time of admission. The affidavit is a confidential statement verifying that the student qualifies to pay resident tuition and that he/she will seek legal permanent residency of the United States when eligible to apply.

Are undocumented students eligible to receive financial aid?

Students with this status do not qualify for student aid from the federal government. However, Washington's Real Hope Act has expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to low-income, non-citizen students who meet the program’s eligibility requirements. If you are eligible, complete the WASFA application to be considered for State Need Grant. Financial aid submission deadlines can be found here: https://www.tacomacc.edu/costsandaid/datesanddeadlines/

Financial Aid Resources for Undocumented Students

Additional information regarding financial aid resources for undocumented students is available on the HB 1079 website and on the Ready Set Grad website.

Additional Resources

You can also turn to the Tacoma Community House, which offers services for our undocumented population, including classes and references to help with citizenship and immigration issues.

Other resources recommended by the State Board of Community and Technical Colleges:

Please consider rating the content on this page:
Poor Outstanding
Your comments about the content on this page:

If you would like us to get back with you, please share your email address (optional):