main photo
Tacoma Community College » Costs & Aid » Types of Aid » Worker Retraining

Worker Retraining

image for worker retrainingUnemployed? Need training to reach for a rewarding career?

If you're unemployed--or about to be unemployed--new or improved skills can help you get back to work.

Worker Retraining at TCC helps you get the training you need for better employment opportunities. Programs range from certificates that take only 3 months to complete, up to an Associate of Applied Science degree. Several programs offer stand-alone certificates that ladder toward a degree, providing quick re-entry to the workforce with the opportunity to complete additional training to enhance your career and earning potential.

How can we help you?

Worker Retraining provides funding and services to help dislocated workers build and enhance their job skills. You may be eligible for assistance with:

  • Funding for tuition and books
  • Funds when you have exhausted your unemployment and are finishing up your program
  • Obtaining funding through other sources including Financial Aid and WorkSource
  • Employment Security applications to continue to collect unemployment benefits while going to school (CAT) and to extend unemployment benefits while in school (TB)
  • Free college assessment/waiver
  • Educational planning, advising, new student orientation, and registration
  • Developing the skills needed to be successful in college (including a college success seminar)
  • Connecting to other college resources and programs

Do You Qualify?

You could be eligible if you are a Washington State resident and:

  • Are collecting, will collect, or have collected unemployment benefits from the state of Washington in the last 24 months
  • Were formerly self-employed and licensed by the state of Washington but have become unemployed in the last 24 months due to general economic conditions or a natural disaster
  • Have become a displaced homemaker in the last 24 months (spouse is collecting unemployment benefits; divorce, legal separation, or death of spouse; and you are unemployed or underemployed)
  • Have separated with an honorable discharge from the U.S. armed services in the last 24 months

What Program Options Are Available?

TCC ofers retraining in certificate and degree programs for worker retraining students to choose from in the following areas:

Also, if you want to upgrade your job skills but do not wish to complete a certificate or degree, Worker Retraining may be able to customize a short term training program for you.

Get Started

Next Steps

  • After you have registered for classes, complete a Worker Retraining Application packet available at the Counseling & Advising counter in Bldg. 7. We may be able to assist with state grant funding to pay your first quarter; additional quarters are subject to availability of state funds.
  • We assist with Commissioner Approved Training applications or Training Benefits applications by appointment after you are registered for classes. Come by the Counseling & Advising counter in Bldg. 7 to make an appointment, or call 253.566.5188 or email.

If you do not qualify for Worker Retraining, you may still apply to any training program that TCC offers. Other service and funding resources you may be eligible for are:


For more information, stop by the Counseling & Advising counter in Bldg. 7, call 253.566.5188 or email.

Please consider rating the content on this page:
Poor Outstanding
Your comments about the content on this page:

If you would like us to get back with you, please share your email address (optional):